Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Dal Pakwaan- Traditional Sindhi Breakfast



An extremely popular Sunday breakfast delicacy in Sindhi homes.not that we have this every sunday but its one of the items that figues in our list .
i love eating dal pakwaan , brings back memoies of Granny and me together . My parents were working ever since i was 6 mths old , its been my granny whose spoilt me thoroughly in every way !!
I was her first Grandchild and she loved me a lot . Anyways i can go on and on talking abt her , but whenevr we eat dal pakwaan , i miss her the most.
Ok coming back to dal pakwaan , its basically Chana dal served with crispy pakwans. The dal is thick, creamy and spicy. The pakwans, though the name sounds intimidating, use the same doughmade in maida rolled out in a round shape and deep fried until crisp.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, are you on vacation now?

TNL said...

That looks good...Is it Farsi puris?

Trupti

J said...

Hi, My first time here.... I love dal pakwan.... We always buy it from a particular restaurant in Mumbai. Somehow, at home the pakwans don't turn out that well, tho' the dal does.

Anonymous said...

Hi Vanita,
I feel really bad about u not posting recipes on this lovely blog of urs?
There are hardly any sindhi recipes online,and i feel bad whenever google returns empty handed ,when asked to search for authentic or popular sindhi recipes
Sindhi food is loved all over,but there are hardly few ,who actually take the pain to post the recipes online.I can understand the present lifestyle which rarely leaves any time for us to involve in such things,but pls if u can...u should keep on writing about this wonderful cuisine of ours
Hope u will join me in this attempt...
Regards
Alka